Salkantay Short Trek 4 Days – 3 Nights
Note: All distances, times and altitudes given in the following itinerary are approximate.
CUSCO | MOLLEPATA-CHALLACANCHA-SORAYPAMPA (LAGUNA HUMANTAY)
The day begins with the pick up of the passenger from his hotel at 04:00 a.m. approximately. We will drive for 3 hours, passing through Anta and Mollepata, until we arrive at Challacancha which will be the starting point of the trek. Around 09:30 a.m. we will start hiking to Soraypampa (3869 m.a.s.l. / 12,690 FASL) for 3 more hours. Lunch will be served there. Afterwards, we will hike for 3 hours (5 km / 3.1 miles) to Humantay Lake (4,221 m.a.s.l. / 13,845 FASL) and after visiting it, we will return to Soraypampa camp to spend the night.
- Distance: 12 km / 7.45 miles
- Hiking time: 6 hours approximately
- Starting altitude:3,360 m.a.s.l. / 11,021 FASL
- Maximum altitude: 4,221 m.a.s.l. / 13,845 FASL
- Type of lodging: Sky camp (transparent igloos)
- Lodging altitude: 3,869 m.a.s.l. / 12,690 FASL
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Meals: Lunch and dinner. Also, snacks and tea time in the afternoon.
SORAYPAMPA | ABRA SALKANTAY-HUAYRACMACHAY-CHAULLAY
Passengers will enjoy breakfast at 5:00 a.m. to begin the hike to the highest point of this trek: the Salkantay pass (4,638 m.a.s.l. / 15,213 FASL). In 4 hours we will cover a demanding distance of 7 km (4.34 miles) between the rocky base of the valley and the imposing Salkantay mountain (6,271 m.a.s.l. / 20,574 FASL). We will then hike 5 km (3.1 miles) downhill on a winding, rocky path that will take us to the Huayracmachay dining room where lunch will be served. We will continue hiking in the afternoon and head into the Amazon rainforest to see the «cloud forest». This 10 km (6.2 miles) trek is completed in 6 hours. At the end of this demanding day we will arrive at Chaullay camp (2,870 m.a.s.l. / 9,414 FASL) to spend the night.
- Distance: 22 km / 13.7 miles
- Hiking time: 10 hours approximately
- Starting altitude: 3,869 m.a.s.l. / 12,690 FASL
- Maximum altitude: 4,638 m.a.s.l. / 15,213 FASL
- Type of lodging: Andean Huts Camp (cabins)
- Lodging altitude: 2,870 m.a.s.l. / 9,414 FASL
- Difficulty: Challenging
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Also, snacks and tea time in the afternoon.
CHAULLAY | LA PLAYA-SANTA TERESA-HIDROELÉCTRICA-AGUAS CALIENTES
At 6:00 a.m. we will begin our 5-hour drive through the Santa Teresa valley to the small ranch of La Playa. Passengers will be able to observe rivers, waterfalls, wild orchids and coffee, banana and avocado plantations. We will also pass through the village of Collpapampa. After a hearty lunch at La Playa we will explore the rainforest for a while and visit an organic coffee farm. Afterwards we will take the local transportation to the train station of Hidroeléctrica where passengers will have two options: Take the train to Aguas Calientes (not included in the tour, US$ 33.00 extra approximately) or walk for 3 hours along the train track. Once in Aguas Calientes, the passenger will stay in a lodge, in a shared room, for the night.
- Distance: 26 km / 16.1. miles
- Hiking time: 8 hours
- Starting altitude: 2,870 m.a.s.l. / 9,414 FASL
- Maximum altitude: 2,870 m.a.s.l. / 9,414 FASL
- Type of lodging: Lodging
- Lodging altitude: 1,900 m.a.s.l. / 6,232 FASL
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Also, snacks.
This day starts very early in order for passengers to enjoy the archaeological complex of Machu Picchu before most other tourists. The checkpoint at the entrance of Machu Picchu is open for visitors from 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. It is important to emphasize that this hike is required and that there is the option of taking a bus for US$ 12.00 extra. In Machu Picchu there will be a guided tour for approximately 2 hours. After the tour, passengers will be able to climb Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain if they have booked their tickets in advance. The time it takes to climb and descend either of these mountains is approximately 3 hours. After enjoying this Inca citadel, we will return to the town of Aguas Calientes where, at approximately 4:22 p.m. (subject to availability), we will take the bus back to Aguas Calientes. (subject to availability), we will take the train back to Ollantaytambo. This trip takes 2 hours. In Ollantaytambo we will board a bus that will take us back to Cusco. Arrival to the city at approximately 09:00 p.m.
- Distance: 6 km / 3.72 miles
- Hiking time: 2 hours approximately
- Starting altitude: 1,900 m.a.s.l. / 6,232 FASL
- Maximum altitude: 2,400 m.a.s.l. / 7,872 FASL
- Difficulty level: Moderate to challenging
- Meals: Box breakfast
¿WHAT IS INCLUDED?
- Pre-departure briefing: The briefing will be held one night before the trip after coordination with your passengers. This meeting can be held at your hotels or offices at 5:00 p.m.; or at our offices at 6:00 p.m. (Calle Triunfo 392, office 212, second floor, Arte Inca handicraft center).
- Transportation: Cusco-Challacancha / La Playa-Hidroelectrica / Aguas Calientes-Ollantaytambo Aguas Calientes-Ollantaytambo-Cusco.
- Qualified guides: Our guides are fluent in English and Spanish.
English and Spanish, professional education and official certification.
(1 guide for groups of 2 to 10 people and 1 guide + 1 assistant for groups of 12 people) for groups of 12 people. Maximum 12 people per group).
- Lodging in private camps: We have a series of exclusive camps that will offer fascinating experiences to the passengers. All accommodations are double and shared.
- Sky Camp: Transparent domes in Soraypampa.
- Andean Huts: Comfortable facilities in Chaullay.
- Lodging: In the town of Aguas Calientes.
- Camping equipment: We have tents for the kitchen and dining room, as well as tables, chairs and complete kitchen equipment. All transported by horses.
- Entrance ticket to the archaeological complex of Machu Picchu.
- Lodging in the town of Aguas Calientes: During the last night of this trek, the passenger will spend the night in a shared room with private bathroom, hot water, wi-fi, box breakfast and luggage storage.
- 01 duffel bag: During the briefing we will deliver a duffel bag where passengers can carry their personal belongings (including sleeping bag) up to a maximum weight of 7 kg / 15 lbs. Our horses are in charge of transportation from one camp to another.
- Pack mules: Our pack mules will transport all the camping equipment as well as the passengers’ personal luggage inside the duffel bags.
- Cooking service: A chef specialized in trekking routes, together with his assistant, will prepare delicious Peruvian dishes throughout the trip (buffet meals).
- Meals: 03 breakfasts, 03 lunches and 03 dinners. Special, vegetarian or vegan menus are available at no additional cost.
- Morning infusion: Every morning, at our campsites, passengers will enjoy a hot cup of coca leaf infusion as soon as they wake up.
- Tea time: In our camps we will serve popcorn, cookies, coffee, chocolate, tea, hot water, etc.
- Daily snacks: We will offer snacks in a cloth bag: local fruits, cookies, chocolates, candies, etc.
- 01 cloth bag: We will give a cloth bag to passengers to carry their snacks. This way we will avoid the use of plastic bags that pollute our environment.
- Medical kit: We will have a first aid kit.
- Oxygen balloon.
- Train tickets: From Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo at approximately 4:22 p.m., depending on availability.
¿WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED?
- Entrance ticket to the Salkantay trail (PEN 10.00 per person).
- Entrance ticket to the thermal medicinal waters of Aguas Calientes.
- Sleeping bags.
- Walking sticks.
- Breakfast on day 1.
- Lunch and dinner on day 4.
- Clothes and personal equipment.
- Travel insurance.
- Bus tickets Aguas Calientes-Machu Picchu-Aguas Calientes.
- Train from Hidroeléctrica to Aguas Calientes (optional): If the passenger feels tired after the hike from Llactapata, he/she has the option to take a train from Hidroeléctrica to Aguas Calientes for US$ 34.00 approximately.
Additional costs, delays or modification of the itinerary may occur for reasons beyond the agency’s responsibility, such as: bad weather conditions, security or health problems, changes in government policies, political instability, strikes, etc.