Short Inca Trail 2 Days – 1 Night
Note: All distances, times and altitudes given in the following itinerary are approximate.
CUSCO | KM 104-MACHU PICCHU
We will start the day picking up passengers from their hotels at 4:00 a.m. We will go by car to the Ollantaytambo train station where we will board the train that will take us to the place known as Km 104. After walking a few minutes we will register our entrance to the Inca Trail. We will ride for 4 hours until we reach the archaeological site of Wiñay Wayna. We will enjoy a delicious snack in the middle of the mountains and we will have free time to rest. We will continue our excursion and arrive at Inti Punku or Sun Gate, where the Inca Trail ends. From here passengers will get their first glimpse of the Machu Picchu sanctuary. We will follow the side path that leads to the exit of this archaeological site where a bus will be waiting for us to take us to the town of Aguas Calientes. We will have dinner there and spend the night in a lodge to enjoy a good night’s rest.
- Distance: 12 km / 7.45 miles
- Hiking time: 7 hours approximately
- Starting altitude: 2,200 m.a.s.l. / 7,217 FASL
- Maximum altitude: 2,700 m.a.s.l. / 8,858 FASL
- Type of lodging: Lodging
- Lodging altitude: 2,000 m.a.s.l. / 6,561 FASL
- Difficulty level: Moderate to challenging
- Meals: Box lunch, snacks and dinner.
This day starts very early in order for passengers to enjoy the archaeological complex of Machu Picchu before most other tourists. The checkpoint at the entrance of Machu Picchu is open for visitors from 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. It is important to emphasize that this hike is required and that there is the option of taking a bus for US$ 12.00 extra. In Machu Picchu there will be a guided tour for approximately 2 hours. After the tour, passengers will be able to climb Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain if they have booked their tickets in advance. The time it takes to climb and descend either of these mountains is approximately 3 hours. After enjoying this Inca citadel, we will return to the town of Aguas Calientes where, at approximately 4:22 p.m. (subject to availability), we will take the bus back to Aguas Calientes. (subject to availability), we will take the train back to Ollantaytambo. This trip takes 2 hours. In Ollantaytambo we will board a bus that will take us back to Cusco. Arrival to the city at approximately 09:00 p.m.
- Distance: 6 km / 3.72 miles
- Hiking time: 2 hours approximately
- Starting altitude: 1,900 m.a.s.l. / 6,232 FASL
- Maximum altitude: 2,400 m.a.s.l. / 7,872 FASL
- Difficulty: Moderate to Challenging
- Meals: Box breakfast
¿WHAT IS INCLUDED?
- Pre-departure briefing: The briefing will be held one night before the trip after coordination with your passengers. This meeting can be held at your hotels or offices at 5:00 p.m.; or at our offices at 6:00 p.m. (Calle Triunfo 392, office 212, second floor, Arte Inca handicraft center).
- Transportation: Cusco-Km. 104 / Aguas Calientes- Ollantaytambo-Cusco.
- Bus one way: Aguas Calientes-Machu Picchu-Aguas Calientes.
- Qualified guides: Our guides are fluent in English and Spanish, professionally educated and officially certified (1 guide for groups of 2 to 10 people and 1 guide + 1 assistant for groups of 12 people. Maximum 12 people per group).
- Entrance to Machu Picchu.
- Entrance to the Inca Trail.
- Lodging: 1 night in lodging.
- Meals: 01 breakfast, 01 lunch (box launch) and 01 dinner. Special, vegetarian or vegan menus are available at no additional cost.
- Snacks (day 1): We will offer snacks in a cloth bag: local fruits, cookies, chocolates, candies, etc.
- 01 cloth bag: We will give a cloth bag to passengers to carry their snacks. This way we will avoid the use of plastic bags that pollute our environment.
- Medical kit: We will have a first aid kit.
- Oxygen balloon.
- Train tickets: From Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo at approximately 4:22 p.m., depending on availability.
¿THAT IS NOT INCLUDED?
- Walking sticks with rubber tips.
- Lunch and dinner in Aguas Calientes (Day 2).
- Personal clothing and equipment.
- Travel insurance.
Additional costs, delays or modification of the itinerary may occur for reasons beyond the agency’s responsibility, such as: bad weather conditions, security or health problems, change of government policies, political instability, strikes, etc.